- Substance: Acyclovir (Zovirax)
- Manufacturer: John Lee
- Package: 200mg (30 pills)
Ekovir (Acyclovir) – a synthetic nucleoside analogue of thymidine. In infected cells containing viral thymidine kinase, phosphorylation occurs and conversion to acyclovir monophosphate. Under the influence of guanylate cyclase is converted into acyclovir monophosphate and diphosphate by the action of several cellular enzymes – a triphosphate. The high selectivity of Ekovir, and low toxicity to humans due to the lack of the enzyme necessary for the formation of acyclovir triphosphate in intact microorganism cells. Acyclovir triphosphate, embedding into synthesized DNA virus, blocking reproduction of the virus. The specificity and the very high selectivity of action is also advantageous due to the accumulation of the drug in the cells infected with the herpes virus. Highly active against Herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2, Varicella zoster, Epstein-Barr virus. Moderately active against cytomegalovirus. When herpes prevents new elements disease, reduces the likelihood of cutaneous dissemination and visceral complications accelerates education crusts, reduces pain in the acute phase of herpes zoster. Immunostimulant effect.
Indications of Acyclovir
– treatment of primary and recurrent infections of the skin and mucous membranes, caused by the virus Herpes simplex (types 1 and 2), including genital herpes (except neonatal herpes and HSV severe in children with immunodeficiency);
– prevention of exacerbations of recurrent infections caused by the virus Herpes simplex (type 1 and 2) in patients with normal immune status;
– prevention of primary and recurrent infections caused by the virus Herpes simplex (types 1 and 2), in immunocompromised patients;
– chicken pox, herpes zoster (shingles).
Side effects of Acyclovir
The drug is generally well tolerated. On the part of the digestive tract: in rare cases – abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. In the blood: transient slight increase in liver enzymes, rarely – a slight increase in urea and creatine levels, hyperbilirubinemia, leukopenia, erythropenia. CNS: rarely – headache, weakness; in some cases, tremors, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, hallucinations. Allergic reactions: skin rash. Other: rare – alopecia , fever.